Saturday, August 30, 2008

First Week of the Semester

I'm currently in my "second newsroom" (Kaldi's) on a Saturday afternoon, reflecting on a week that has seemed more like the beginning of a new job than a new semester. Most of my time this week was spent either in the newsroom or going to and from the newsroom, tracking down story ideas and sources.

I went to a news conference on Friday morning to hear a preview of next week's council meeting agenda, and it was the first time my press badge got some fresh air, clipped to my shirt.

I wrote three full stories this week. My assistant city editor (ACE) Sarah advised that we shoot for at least one story a week, so I'm doing pretty good so far. She also said that a good grade usually goes hand-in-hand with spending 40 hours a week working on stories. This week I think I came close.

If you'd like to read my stories, here they are: Balloon Invitational, Tiger Security, Missouri Delegates at the DNC.

I'm still waiting for a fourth story on recycling to be published. Come back in a few days.

Overall this week has been exciting, challenging, and it feels like I've already learned enough to fill a book.
But I'm sure I still have much to learn, to experience, and to overcome.

No comments: